My Son Has Settled Abroad-I
My Son Has Settled Abroad-I
“Twenty
years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do
than by the ones you did do.”
– Mark Twain
“How
lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”
–
A.A. Milne
“Hello Dadu, how are you, how is your health, have you taken your meals and medicine too, how is my Dadi, is she okay? Is everything okay at home, hope you are comfortable, Anything fresh and new” phone rings at 08.00AM,(08.00 PM IST) another call at 09.00 AM (09.00PM IST) rings to tell, “Pappa I am leaving for work will talk to you later.” These calls give me courage, confidence and strength to live life with hope that I will receive them here.
I am more than eighty now, I cannot walk straight, have problems with my back and thigh also, so I keep laying on my bed most of the time with three pillows my good companions day and night; they give me comfort for a few minutes: then I turn them to find if that gives me little more comfort that does not happen most of the time, some time I fold them to keep my neck high : so are my regular medicines of Asthma and cardiac, I keep them near me lest I forget, happen to land in hospital and also keep their stock ample; in addition I keep common medicines with me like those for fever (paracetamol), antibiotics for sore throat, some medicine for allergy, also for upset stomach. I also keep some water proof bandages for small cuts that I get while peeling fruits and sometimes vegetables too. Regular bandages are also kept safe and handy lest we slip somewhere. Analgesic balms and gels are also my companions on the bed, so is my Nebulizer with stock of “Budecort” and “Duolin” for comfortable breathing, for emergency I keep “Asthalin Inhaler” with me always. Some Biscuits, Rusks and savory snacks are beneath the bed to enjoy with Tea and also to offer to my guests who land almost daily to find out about my well being. I keep a small refrigerator near my bed for keeping Ice Cream (I am fond of), Fruits, Milk and water of course. I also keep some medicines in the frig as advised by the Doctor. Remotes of Television and Air Conditioner are my good companions on the bed they give me entertainment, News and cool breeze and a AC Quilt enough for both of us to keep us cozy while AC is on and we are not in mood to switch it off. Our Mobile phones keep us linked with all my well-wishers and are a source of keeping us engaged when topic for day’s discussion end for the time being.
Most important on my bed is my sweet heart bubbling girl of
seventies and still bubbling but with pain in the shoulder and calf muscles,
still cooks wonderful dishes even now; we enjoy in disposable crockery instead
glittering China to avoid washing. Her company keeps me young and confident to
live well.
We live a wonderful life confined to our bed from where we can watch well the entrance to our home and also who is coming and going out and also someone who peeps in to say hello to us in love.
Sometimes our hands shiver out of control; the vegetables, pulses, fruits, tea and coffee spill all over the bed: big exercise starts to change the bed sheet: sometimes pillow covers too, really a tough exercise completed every time with the help of our helpers in day to day life. O Lord save us from such exercise.
Bathroom attached to our bedroom keeps us fresh and clean with hot and cold water and our household helpers help us to lead a comfortable life: many provide which even money cannot buy: very grateful to them being with us when ours are away for greener pastures despite the Lord having given us more than what we deserved here.
Bell rang once again I could not reply as I could not walk fast enough to pick up now I will reply as I wish. Day passes and so the night with a morning and evening prayer to the Lord to keep us healthy at least to the extent that we are able to manage ourselves and our daily routine. I always pray to the Lord for the well-being, happiness, health and wealth of my children and grandchildren whom I see on Video Calls so often but far off, thanks to modern technology.
Bye Bye
will see you again.
Comments
Post a Comment